Mobility Aids For The Elderly - Senior Citizen Care
Mobility means independence
Mobility In The Lives Of Senior Citizens
Senior Mobility means independence, a very important factor in everybody's life. This article discusses all aspects of mobility. I will start from the very basics like shoes, and cover all mobility-related topics. All instruments help seniors to move from point A to point B in a safe way. Safety is the number one factor that we should take into consideration.
Our goal is to improve mobility in a safe way and avoid our number one enemy: THE FALL!
This article deals with each aspect in a general way. With so many useful resources for Senior Care, it's no wonder why people are looking to the internet. One of the most popular topics is reviews and recommendations on products that can help make senior living more comfortable in their home or care facility and achieve better mobility.
The Best Shoes and Slippers
Shoes or slippers are important because we wear them on our feet - our most important instruments of mobility.
Points to take into consideration:
- Comfort - Do the shoes have properties that will contribute to our comfort when wearing them.
- Grip - Do they have good non-slip rubber soles - this will contribute to our safety and balance.
- Medical conditions - Are the shoes suitable for our medical condition? The type of shoes we wear is very important in the case that we are diabetic. Or any other orthopedic condition that we may have.
We dedicate articles to:
Walking Sticks, Canes & Accessories
Walking sticks and canes are a great way to provide extra support and balance when you are walking about. They increase confidence and independence in your daily activities. There are many styles and shapes, all with the same goal: to help seniors walk with confidence.
We dedicate articles to:
Walking Frames & Trolleys
People who need more help with balance than a walking stick provides can use a walking frame.
The walking frames come in many combinations, 4 ferrules on each leg support, or with wheels - from 2 wheels to 7. The basic one is the frame with 2 wheels in front and ferrules at the back. Trolleys are also known as rollators and can have up to 7 wheels. Obviously, maneuverability increases as the number of wheels increase.
An important point that we have to consider before buying one is the height of the frame relative to our own height. If we are not sure which height to buy it is a good idea to buy a frame that is adjustable.
If a cane or a walker is not providing enough stability to a senior citizen, or if he or she has difficulty rising from a chair and is in danger of falling (an incident that we try to avoid at all costs) the best answer to the situation may be a wheelchair. There are a few types and the main difference between them is their weight. The lighter ones allow caregivers to handle them more easily. Here we take an in-depth look at the manual wheelchair for older adults.
The Up Walker
The up walker resolves several problems caused by conventional walkers, for example lack of comfort, and the risk of falling. The conventional walker puts pressure on your wrists and back. The up walker, on the other hand, is designed to support you in an upright position.
You can use a rolling-up walker in all your daily activities. There is much more to learn in our in-depth article about upright walkers.
Tricycles For Seniors
Riding outdoors is a very healthy activity enjoyed by many. The problem is that riding a bicycle requires the ability to balance on it.
For many older adults balancing on 2 wheels may be a problem, and in the worse case may lead to injury as a result of falling.
The solution is to find a good 3 wheel bike for seniors that can bring you mobility and reopen old horizons. An extra benefit will be the exercise that you will get from cycling, which will make you stronger.
In the article Best 3 Wheel Bikes For Seniors, we will explore the subject in great depth.
The last subject in senior mobility that we will discuss is an electric scooter. Like many other products that we analyzed in this introduction to mobility the electric scooter comes in many shapes and sizes, and with many points that have to be taken into consideration. Some of those points are:
- Safety equipment
- Transport of the scooter
People Also Ask
How can the elderly improve mobility?
- Exercise your muscles regularly to prevent muscle atrophy.
Your muscles will grow stronger as they are exercised. Incorporate regular exercise into your routine. Take a brisk walk every evening after dinner for instance. You do not need to go to the gym or spend hours jogging. Instead, start with something simple like walking and work your way up over time.
- Practice balance exercises to prevent falling. Increase your flexibility by stretching regularly (Yoga classes are ideal).
- Maintain a healthy diet, which will increase your mobility and lessen muscle pain. This will help you avoid obesity, harmful fats in the body, and weight gain. You should also avoid drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes. Eating a healthy diet can help prevent high blood pressure and the amount of sodium in your body. Staying hydrated with water will help regulate sleep, digestion, and mood. You will be relaxed and full of energy to start your mobility exercises.
- Take a bath or shower at least once a day to reduce the risk of infection and joint pain.
There are many different reasons why taking a bath or shower at least once a day can help reduce your risk of infection and joint pain. One is because you will be reducing the amount of sweat and bacteria on your skin. Secondly, by taking a shower, you will be able to wash off any dirt and sand from outside that might be stuck to your skin. Finally, in addition to being less prone to infection, you will also have less joint pain because of decreased inflammation.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing that is easy to move in during exercises.
- Keep your living space safe - remove any hazards like sharp objects or high furniture that could lead to falls or other accidents. This will allow exercising freely.
Can the elderly regain muscle?
Older adults, over 50 can not only maintain but actually increase their muscle mass by lifting weights.
SeniorsCitizenKare.com is the premier website for seniors looking to make their golden years better than they ever could have imagined! We help you find what’s best suited for your needs and then deliver it right to your door in a timely manner so that we can take care of all those pesky errands on our list. You deserve no less than the very best life has had to offer - why trust anyone other than us?